The Glenmore Sailing Club is excited to offer an
Introduction to Sailing course for Girl Guides.
The Glenmore Sailing Club has been teaching youth sailing skills for decades. These introduction courses are taught using the Optimist sailboat (above photo) and the Laser sailboat (for older youth).
Youth Summer Sailing Camps
Girl Guides Introduction to Sailing
This 3-hour course, during May and June, is a good place to start. This course is offered weekday evenings and weekend mornings and afternoons and includes theory and a minimum of 1 hour of sailing.
Some youth might want more than a three-hour introduction to sailing... for these youth, we have summer sailing camps. Details about these week-long summer camps here.
Frequently Asked QuestionsDo we need a membership at the sailing club to take sailing courses?
What is the ratio of youth to sailing instructors?
How safe is sailing?
- 1 instructor to 7 participants
Does my child need to be able to swim to go sailing?
- Very. The Optimist sailboats we use to teach new sailors are stable and easy to sail.
- The Sailing Club has a coach / safety boat providing instruction and ensuring youth are safe while on the water.
- The City of Calgary Boat Patrol on the Glenmore Reservoir can provide safety assistance if required.
- Statement of Risk and Waiver for sailing.
Are there any required prerequisites before going sailing?
How many youth can go out in boats at one time?
- No. PFD's are mandatory (City of Calgary Bylaw) when anyone is on the Glenmore Reservoir. Comfort around the water is helpful.
- Typically 18, but for smaller kids the Optimist sailboat can safely carry two youth at a time. There are two controls (rudder and main sail) and the youth take turns steering and controlling the sail.
- After about age 8, youth would typically go out in the Optimists individually.
What other sailing opportunities are there for youth?
- Youth that have taken a Summer Sailing Camp can come sail for free at our Family Friday evenings. Friday evenings provide a fun and interactive sailing environment and an atmosphere for the family to enjoy a night together. Coaches are available to provide supervision for youth that would like to go out in our Optimist sailboats. Burgers and beverages are available for purchase up on the deck!
- Youth that want more sailing and coaching can join the Youth Race Team. The Team receives regular coaching from Sail Canada certified coaches. The Team also participates in the Wednesday Night Series and weekend regattas (locally and at other sailing clubs).
Can Youth take more than one camp in one summer?
- Yes. Some youth take multiple camps over the summer
Register your Girl Guides for an Introduction to Sailing course