Girl Guides Sailing Program
Details for Leaders and Parents
The Glenmore Sailing Club has been teaching youth sailing skills for decades. Our courses are taught using the Optimist sailboat.
What should the kids bring
- PFD - Please ask the kids to bring theirs if they have one.
- Clothes / shoes that can get wet.
- Water bottle
The Introduction to Sailing course will likely go more than 100m from shore... this requires that the Girl Guides of Canada Third Party Service Provider Interview Checklist (SG.&) be completed and submitted at least three weeks before your scheduled lesson.
- Each Girl Guide needs to present one of the following signed waivers to our instructors before participating in the lesson.
- The On-Shore instruction will be done in the sailing club or at our dinghy sailing area beside the lake (just north / below the Club).
We suggest arriving 10 minutes or so prior to your group's start time.. we might still be rigging boats and getting ready for you but we plan to start your group on time.
- The first hour to hour and a half will be on-shore instruction about safety and sailing, using age-appropriate sailing theory.
- The balance of the three hours will be to finish getting ready to sail and then out on the water sailing.
- Morning sessions are 9 am - noon
- Afternoon sessions are 1 pm - 4 pm
- Evening sessions are 6 pm - 9 pm
Watching the kids sail
- There are two pathways around the south side of the reservoir, both will
provide you unobstructed viewing of the kids while they are sailing,
the lower path is substantially closer to the water.
- The kids will sail if the wind is between 2 and 24 km/hr (we use our "Reduced Area Sails" when the winds are greater than 14km/hr).
- For smaller / younger kids we will happily pair them up with another kid to sail together (having a buddy can be better for some kids)
- Our emergency protocols document are available in the office
- Unless we phone to cancel / reschedule... come ready to go sailing.
- We will call the group leader's cell number we have at the office to cancel anytime before the start of the lesson.
- It is possible for the wind to build or diminish during the on-shore component to the point where going out on the water is not possible. If this happens, the session will end after the theory and we will work with your group to reschedule. No payment is required until after the sailing component is completed.
- Lessons are scheduled months in advance. It is possible there may not be an available time in the calendar that works for your group to reschedule. We apologize in advance if this happens.
Fees and Payment
What can the kids do next?
- The Level 1 course is $30 per youth and can be paid by cheque when your group arrives to go sailing.
- For groups with multiple days scheduled, please bring a cheque on the last scheduled day.
- GST will be charged on the program fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do we need a membership at the sailing club to take sailing courses?