Adult Learn to Sail
Welcome to Calgary's sailing community. Sailing is an enjoyable recreation and an exhilarating sport ... sailing offers something for everyone regardless of age, gender or physical ability.
We recommend progressing through courses like this:
||Start Keelboat Sailing course
||(optionally) Join the Club and sign up for the Co-op Boat program as Crew
||Keelboat Skipper course
||(optionally) Join the Club and sign up for the Co-op Boat program as a Skipper
Start Keelboat Sailing Course ($300)
- Our instructors extensive sailing experience and are Sail Canada accredited.
- Membership NOT required to take lessons with the Club.
- Radio and PCOC are NOT required when sailing on the Glenmore Reservoir
Get notified when course registration opens
- Begin sailing with this comprehensive course
- No prerequisite
- Learn the basics of being both crew and skipper on a keelboat
- 3 participants per course / 1 instructor, 15 hours of instruction
- Course details (pdf)
- this course is available as a Women's Only course led by a female instructor.
Keelboat Skipper Course ($300)
- Expand your skills as a skipper
- Prerequisite: Start Keelboat Sailing Course or equivalent experience
- This course is for people wanting to join the Club's Co-op Boat Program and those who want to take the Keelboat Cruising Course to charter a sailboat.
- Includes content specific to Glenmore Reservoir - dock protocol, launching and retrieving a trailerable sailboat, leaving and returning to the dock under sail, local conditions, wing on wing downwind sailing and more.
- 3 participants per course / 1 instructor, 15 hours
Keelboat Cruising Course ($300)
- Develop the comprehensive sailing skills most sailboat charter companies want to see before they turn you loose to enjoy cruising the Gulf Islands.
- Prerequisite: Keelboat Skipper course and a minimum of 10 hours of sailing as the skipper of a sailboat.
- 3 participants per course with 1 instructor, 14 hours
- Note: after successful completion of both the Keelboat Skipper and Keelboat Cruising courses, students will have achieved their Basic Cruising Standard certification with Sail Canada
Keelboat Spinnaker ($300)
- Learn how to rig, hoist, gybe and douse a spinnaker.
- Prerequisite: Keelboat Skipper Course or equivalent experience
- This course is mandatory for Co-op Boat Program members before flying a spinnaker
- 3 participants per course / 1 instructor
- Course details (pdf)
After Your Course...
- Join the Club's Co-op Boat Program
- Participate in recreational and racing events with the Club.
- Sail with experienced members and build your sailing skills through our Pickup Crew List.
- Join us for a social at the Club.