Scouts Sailing Programs
Details for Scouters and Parents
The Glenmore Sailing Club has been teaching youth sailing skills for decades. Our courses are taught using the Optimist sailboat.
What should the kids bring
- PFD - Please ask the kids to bring theirs if they have one.
- Clothes / shoes that can get wet.
- Water bottle
- The On-Shore instruction will be done inside the sailing club.
- The Youth Sailing Area is just north / below the Club.
We suggest arriving 10 minutes or so prior to your group's start time.. we might still be rigging boats and getting ready for you but we plan to start your group on time.
- The first hour and a half or so will be on-shore instruction about safety, sailing fitness and age-appropriate sailing theory.
- The balance of the lesson will be getting ready to sail and then out for an hour on the water.
- Morning sessions are 9 am to noon
- Afternoon sessions are 1 pm - 4 pm
- we are finalizing the last details for these lessons for the 2019 season (here in January)
Watching the kids sail
- There are two pathways around the south side of the reservoir, both will provide you unobstructed viewing of the kids while they are sailing, the lower path is substantially closer to the water.
- The kids will sail if the wind is between 2 and 20 km/hr (we have new "Reduced Area Sails" for the Optimists we will use when the wind is up.
- For smaller / younger kids we will happily pair them up with another kid to sail together (having a buddy can be better for some kids)
- Our emergency protocols document are available in the Club office
- Lightening immediately ends all on the water activity
- Unless we phone to cancel / reschedule... come ready to go sailing.
- We will call the group leader's cell number we have at the office to cancel anytime before the start of the lesson. Our goal is to call by noon the day before your sailing session.
- It is possible for the wind to build or diminish during the on-shore component to the point where going out on the water is not possible. If this happens, the session will end after the theory and we will work with your group to reschedule. No payment is required until after the sailing component is completed.
- Lessons are scheduled months in advance. It is possible there may not be an available time in the calendar that works for your group to reschedule. We apologize in advance if this happens.
What can the kids do next?
- The Club has keelboats for adults who would like to experience
sailing while the kids are learning and sailing. The adult program is 2
hours of sailing.
- $30 per person.
- The Level 1 course is $30 per child and can be paid by cheque when your group arrives to go sailing.
- For groups with multiple days scheduled, please bring a cheque on the last scheduled day.
- The adult sailing experience is $30 per person.
- GST will be charged on the program fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
Has the Glenmore Sailing Club signed the Scouts Canada Indemnification Agreement?
Do we need a membership at the sailing club to take sailing courses?