Co-op Boat Usage Agreement / Release and Waiver
We promise this agreement isn't as long as most user agreements.
As a Community Sailing Club, our boats serve many members during the season. Your active engagement in the care and correct use of the Co-op Boats is essential. They will withstand lots of use, but no abuse.
Co-op Boat Usage Details
- GSC members may access the Club's Co-op Boats by paying the annual fee (in 2019 the Co-op boat fee is $200 per user).
- Co-op Boat users shall have an orientation for each type of boat before sailing it. Orientations are for the rigging and storage of that Co-op Boat, not for sailing skills. It is essential boats be rigged, derigged and stored consistently and correctly. The next user will appreciate it, and so will you the next time you go sailing. This is mandatory for all users annually (winter is long, we recognize people will appreciate the refresher).
- Uses shall launch / retrieve boats they are using, the Club does not have the capacity to launch / retrieve boats for users.
- Co-op Boat usage shall be booked through the Club's Manager. Phone or email the Club Manager to schedule a boat to go sailing. Currently we do not have defined time slots for booking a sail.
- Users shall complete the Boat Inspection checklist before going sailing - defects, missing equipment and damage shall be reported to the Club Manager prior to sailing. The Boat Inspection checklist shall also be completed after sailing. The Club Manager reviews the Boat Inspection checklists and Co-op Boats regularly. Normal wear and tear, or minor damage incidental to normal sailing, is not charged to you.
- If for any reason the boat is not operational at the end of your sail, please phone the Club Manager as soon as possible.
- CANSail 2 (or equivalent experience) is required to helm a Co-op Boat. Proof of education / experience or a practical sailing test may be asked of any Co-op Boat user before any bookings may be made.
- Members who do not have their CANSail 2 certification and who have paid the annual fee may crew on the Club's Co-op boats.
- A member may bring one or more guests sailing, if the boat sailed is designed for multiple sailors.
- Byte / Laser (other dinghies typically sailed by one person)- 1 person - no guests
- 420 - 2 people - 1 guest
- Kolibri - 2 people - 1 guest
- Enterprise - 3 people - 2 guests
- 29er - members only, no guests
- SanJuan 21 - 4 people - 3 guests
- Any individual guest may join a member on a Co-op Boat up to three times. After which we ask the guest to become an Individual or Family member to continue enjoying the Co-op Boats and the Club.
- There is no fee for members to use the Club's Co-op Optimists. Only GSC members shall sail an Opti.
- Co-op Boats may be used by the Club to support education, an event, racing or other activity and shall be unavailable for members not participating in the same. These include but are not limited to Youth Training or Sailing Camps, Wednesday Night Racing, Regattas, Community Sailing Events, etc.
- Co-op Boats are available for use on the Glenmore Reservoir.
- The Club may choose to move a Co-op Boat to another lake for training, racing or other purposes.
- Co-op boats shall not be sailed in winds greater than 25 km/hr unless for training purposes / Club activities with a GSC coach / instructor present. If required, the Club will use data from this website to verify winds from a previous day / time.
- The Club's Co-op boats serve a wide group of members in many programs annually.
- Members are responsible for the care and maintenance of the Club's Co-op Boats as if it were their own and are responsible for the full cost of repair or replacement for any losses or damages. For minor repairs or missing items, you may be asked by the Club Boat Coordinator or the Club Manager to fix or replace items, pick up parts at approved stores and repair.
- Club Co-op Boat usage is on a first come, first serve basis during general access times.
The Club reserves the right to cancel usage privileges for the balance of the season with cause and without refund of the Club Co-op Boat Usage Fee.
Users shall ensure equipment storage areas are locked when unattended.
Youth under the age of 18 shall be supervised by an adult when using a Co-op Boat.
Co-op Boats shall only be on the reservoir when the City of Calgary Boat Patrol is operating and on the water.
- Co-op Boat users shall abide by all City of Calgary Bylaws, including wearing a life jacket at all times on the water and docks. Alcohol on Co-op Boats is prohibited.
This agreement may be amended or edited from time to time and these changes shall become in force for all Co-op Boat users.
Release and Waiver
In consideration of the Glenmore Sailing Club allowing me to use its sailing equipment and facilities and participate in its programs, I acknowledge and agree that the sport of sailing is a potentially hazardous activity which may result in physical or emotional injury, or death. I acknowledge and agree that I should not participate in the sport unless I am medically able, properly trained and competent in the sport of sailing and I hereby represent and warrant to the Glenmore Sailing Club that I am medically able, properly trained and competent, and that I will wear appropriate equipment including a personal flotation device at all times while on the dock or on the water.
I assume any and all risks and liabilities associated with participating in the sport of sailing and using Club equipment or facilities in connection with such participation, whether racing or not, including, but not limited to, physical or emotional personal injury or death, the effects of inclement weather, failure of equipment, defective equipment, and damage to my personal property or that of others, all such risks being acknowledged and appreciated by me and I agree to indemnify and save harmless the Glenmore Sailing club and all of its officials, employees and volunteers assisting to provide this service (the "Indemnitees") in respect of any and all claims, losses, liabilities, foreseen or unforeseen, arising out of, or in the course of my participation in the sport of sailing or use of club equipment or facilities in connection with such participation other than as a result of the gross negligence of the Indemnitees.
Furthermore, I hereby, for myself and anyone else who might claim on my behalf, covenant not to sue, and waive, release, and discharge the Indemnitees from and against any and all claims, foreseen or unforeseen, arising out of, or in the course of my participation in the sport of sailing or use of club equipment or facilities in connection with such participation other than as a result of the gross negligence of the Indemnitees.
I hereby acknowledge having read this Release and Waiver and accept its terms and conditions. In the case of sailors under the age of 18, the sailor's parent or guardian agrees to this Release and Waiver, such parent or guardian accepts the foregoing terms and conditions in his or her own right as well as on behalf of the sailor.